Cut and paste almost anything for reading later
- Captures just about anything
- Easy to access
- Supports syncing and tagging
- Attach files and pages
- No way to export clippings
- May not be suitable for sensitive data
Evernote is one of the most popular free productivity apps for Mac and the long awaited release of version 5 introduces 100 new features for users to enjoy. Evernote for Mac is a handy clipboard application which enables you to save, read and organize content for reading later.
It can handle almost anything you throw at it including simple text, to photos taken on your iPhone. It's also a cross-platform app so great for those that work regularly between Windows and Macs. To use Evernote for Mac, you do need to sign up for an account which is free, although the amount of storage space you get with it is limited until you upgrade.
If you see something you'd like to keep or read later, simple select it and then go to the Evernote for Mac icon in your toolbar and select Paste to Evernote. You can also upload and attach web pages, audio, video and other files to help jog your memory when your scanning through your notes. If you want to sync Evernote with your iPhone, iPod, iPad, Android or Blackberry, you can.
Evernote also has an in-app notebook which enables you to share your notebooks and view notebooks that other have shared with you without ever leaving Evernote. This includes a feature called Notebook Stacks which allows you to organize your notebooks by visually grouping them into stacks.
The only thing that's missing is someway to export data. The other slightly worrying concern is that Evernote reserves the right to reproduce or use anything you upload to it and so if you're using it for secure information, you should be careful.
Evernote for Mac is a highly useful productivity app for saving and storing data for reading later.
- Latest version: Bug fixes Evernote 5 has been redesigned with over 100 new features including: Left Sidebar Shortcuts: Drag notebooks, notes, and tags to the left pane for quick access Recent notes: Lets you quickly get back to notes from anywhere in Evernote Notebooks and Tags view: Organize your Evernote more efficiently Browsing and Creating Notes Atlas: Browse your notes visually by geographic location Card and Snippet views: A better way to browse notes Scalable note editor: A more elegant way to create notes, both big and small Full-screen single note view: Excellent for composing notes without distractions Change a note's location: Type a place manually or click the compass arrow in note info Lots of keyboard shortcuts: Learn more on our What's New page Shared banner: Indicates how many people have access to content in shared notebooks Better simple and plain text handling: Simplify notes to remove complex formatting or convert them to plain text Indent text: Evernote for Mac now supports text indentation Notes created on the Mac are now tagged with location information for Atlas Smarter Search Type ahead search: Completes your thoughts with suggestions from your account Search Personal and Joined notebooks: Search your entire account from one place Search options: Powerful new feature that lets you easily filter your search Collaboration Better sharing: Notebooks and shared notebooks are all in one place Mountain Lion notifications: See Evernote activity in Notification Center Joined notebooks can be added to stacks Other Improvements Lots of stability improvements Sync improvements: Faster, more reliable sync Explore Evernote: First launch experience that helps you get the most out of Evernote 5.30 Fixes: New Premium Feature: Presentation Mode Present your notes in a beautifully laid out, full-screen view with one click Dual screen support: Present on one screen while taking notes on the other Display images, documents and attachments in the presentation Use the laser pointer feature to help everyone follow along Improved Premium Feature: Related Notes See up to five Related Notes at the bottom of the Note Editor New Evernote Business Feature Easily convert personal notebooks into Business notebooks Other enhancements Redesigned search highlighting Evernote Food notes are now editable Right-click on a note to convert it to a PDF